Conclave of Souls
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Archived Fantasy Reflections board. New board=forum.fantasyreflections.com

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

The Beta forum is now closed. Go to www.fantasyreflections.com for the brand new forum!

Earth: 2124

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Zhavier
Batman (I'm Batman!!!)
Batman (I'm Batman!!!)
Zhavier

Earth: 2124 Empty
PostSubject: Earth: 2124   Earth: 2124 EmptyThu Mar 04, 2010 4:48 pm

It has been approximately 70 years since the outbreak of the PDE virus, more widely known as the petey virus nowadays. Not everyone that became sick died. A small percentage of the sick mutated, usually for the worse. However, in the past 30 years, mutants with unique abilities have become more and more prevalent. There are a handful of smaller cities that were able to maintain a strict quarantine and so there are still humans that are uninfected and not immune to PDE making up approximately 8% of the human population. The vast majority of survivors are immune carriers, making up 90% of the existing population. The remainder of the population are immune and do not carry the virus, and have become valuable members of society as traders. The virus also spread through many species of mammals. Hope you enjoy the taste of chicken...

Feel free to post questions about the setting here and discuss your character ideas and discuss the cost of a particular incarnation of an ability you want your character to have. The more details the better in determining point cost.

Tristat pdf can be found at http://tristat.wikispaces.com/file/view/Tri+Stat+Core.pdf

Character creation: 75pts, d8 system, knockback is not available, energy is available. Common tech is not far removed from modern tech, but there are remnants of "future" tech that is not well understood. Also, mutants can account for a fairly wide variety of powers. 5ish on a scale from 1-10 in scientific "hardness." Consider http://www.kheper.net/topics/scifi/grading.html
Back to top Go down
Zhavier
Batman (I'm Batman!!!)
Batman (I'm Batman!!!)
Zhavier

PostSubject: Re: Earth: 2124   Earth: 2124 EmptyFri Mar 05, 2010 11:19 am

Skill costs: Futuristic Post Apocalytic, page 44, except computers, driving and electronics are 2 instead of 1. As per the d8 setting, you have 30 skill points to start.
Back to top Go down
Clouder
Jar Jar Binks (Mesa widely hated character!)
Clouder

Job/hobbies : Law Student

PostSubject: Please allow me to introduce myself...   Earth: 2124 EmptyMon Mar 08, 2010 9:52 pm

Hi, my name is Andrew and I'll be your long-distance gamer today. May I get you any drinks or appetizers?

Ahem, I mean, howdy! I'm Andrew, a buddy of Zhavier's from down in FL. If things manage to work, I might join in long distance to game with you in his post-apocalyptic wasteland of a game... I mean, post-apocalyptic wasteland game!

And with that out of the way, here's some questions.

• Is there a money-based economy of any sort or do folks barter?
  • If there is money, is it just a single currency or do different communities use different currencies?
  • What are the most common forms of transportation? I.e., do people still use cars, ships, trains, and planes or have folks moved back to using pack animals? Because training ostriches to act as pack-animals would be interesting (they're birds, so immune to the virus, see?)...
  • Last time I played a Tri-Stat game the guidelines in the book for picking stats betrayed me. Any suggestions on what numerical values would be good to pick to make sure I don't miss every check out there?
  • Are communities just city-states, sovereign only onto themselves, or are there larger governments encompassing multiple communities? To draw a Fallout analogy, is there a New California Republic or are there just a bunch of Megatons and Rivet Cities?
Back to top Go down
Zhavier
Batman (I'm Batman!!!)
Batman (I'm Batman!!!)
Zhavier

PostSubject: Re: Earth: 2124   Earth: 2124 EmptyTue Mar 09, 2010 1:14 am

Cities use internal currency, but it is otherwise a barter system. The cities usually have enough distance between them that they are sovereign, but shanty towns of icarriers might owe some allegience to a nearby city state.

A car would be a major gadget and you would have trouble keeping it fueled, fuel being a minor gadget for XX miles between getting restocked with fuel.

Motorcycles are relatively more common, but are basically the same general idea, but you get twice as far on each unit of fuel.

Animals are the most common form of transportation aside from walking. A living mount will just be 1 CP for a beast of burden, possibly a mutated breed of mammal or other creature.

The probabilities in tristat work out like this. We are rolling 2d8, therefore, 50% of the time, you will roll equal to or below 9. so, if your body stat + relevant skill equals 9, for example, you will succeed on that skill, under ordinary circumstances, half the time. There are of course many situational modifiers, but these all change the target number. A -1 might be a great hindrance to soeone not very skilled, but hardly effects someone with lots of skill.

Chance Roll
1.56% 2
4.69% 3
9.38% 4
15.63% 5
23.44% 6
32.81% 7
43.75% 8
56.25% 9
67.19% 10
76.56% 11
84.38% 12
90.63% 13
95.31% 14
98.44% 15
100.00% 16
Back to top Go down
Mystic
Admin
Admin
Mystic

PostSubject: Re: Earth: 2124   Earth: 2124 EmptyWed Mar 10, 2010 9:51 am

Clouder wrote:
Hi, my name is Andrew and I'll be your long-distance gamer today. May I get you any drinks or appetizers?

Ahem, I mean, howdy! I'm Andrew, a buddy of Zhavier's from down in FL. If things manage to work, I might join in long distance to game with you in his post-apocalyptic wasteland of a game... I mean, post-apocalyptic wasteland game!

And with that out of the way, here's some questions.

• Is there a money-based economy of any sort or do folks barter?
  • If there is money, is it just a single currency or do different communities use different currencies?
  • What are the most common forms of transportation? I.e., do people still use cars, ships, trains, and planes or have folks moved back to using pack animals? Because training ostriches to act as pack-animals would be interesting (they're birds, so immune to the virus, see?)...
  • Last time I played a Tri-Stat game the guidelines in the book for picking stats betrayed me. Any suggestions on what numerical values would be good to pick to make sure I don't miss every check out there?
  • Are communities just city-states, sovereign only onto themselves, or are there larger governments encompassing multiple communities? To draw a Fallout analogy, is there a New California Republic or are there just a bunch of Megatons and Rivet Cities?

So, what kind of character are you looking at for this Fallout shindig? Fan of all the Fallout games? Also, I'd like a light Chanti with some of a few of those delictable cocktail sausages, thanks, Alfred/Coran/Jeeves.
Back to top Go down
http://www.fantasyreflections.com
Clouder
Clouder

PostSubject: Re: Earth: 2124   Earth: 2124 EmptyWed Mar 10, 2010 11:50 am

I really enjoyed Fallout 3, though I never got through all the DLC. I also really dig the Fallout lore, though I haven't been able to get into games 1 and 2 all that much. This wiki is actually a pretty interesting read if you dig Fallout as a universe.

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout_Wiki

As for my character, I'm shooting for a crazy hippie healer armed with home-brewed grenades that cause people to go into bad drug trips. All natural, dude! Just hoping I go my stats arranged in such a way that I don't miss every check I have to make.
Back to top Go down
Mystic
Admin
Admin
Mystic

PostSubject: Re: Earth: 2124   Earth: 2124 EmptyThu Mar 11, 2010 5:00 pm

I have played all the Fallouts, (minus the Fallout Tic-tacs) and I do enjoy them. I have indeed visited the wiki and browsed every now and then. It would be a good source...to our GM, too!

Oh, and where's that wine?
Back to top Go down
Clouder
Clouder

PostSubject: Re: Earth: 2124   Earth: 2124 EmptyFri Mar 12, 2010 7:26 pm

Mystic wrote:
Oh, and where's that wine?

Well, I was just about to pick it up when my Pip-Boy informed me that it would put me over my encumbrance limit. So I shuffled things around and got it by dropping some leaf blowers, lawnmower blades, and wood glue I had. But then I realized if I DRANK the wine I'd have enough strength to pick up everything AND the wine. So I did, completely forgetting WHY I needed the wine in the first place. Still, I was able to carry the empty bottle with me, if you want it.
Back to top Go down
Clouder
Clouder

PostSubject: Re: Earth: 2124   Earth: 2124 EmptySat Mar 13, 2010 8:37 pm

And speaking of Fallout, first song in the music player over here has a song that is appropriate.

http://www.kirbykracklemusic.com/music.html#album1

And I don't think anyone else has introduced what type of character they're going to play. Speak up, ye' anonymous masses!
Back to top Go down
Mystic
Admin
Admin
Mystic

PostSubject: Ash   Earth: 2124 EmptyWed Mar 17, 2010 10:12 am

Zhavier, are you done with Ash yet? Is that what he's gonna play?
Back to top Go down
Zhavier
Batman (I'm Batman!!!)
Batman (I'm Batman!!!)
Zhavier

PostSubject: Re: Earth: 2124   Earth: 2124 EmptyWed Mar 17, 2010 10:37 am

Ash is mostly done, Theres a few things left to tweak. Sure, unless jason had something else in mind. He is welcome to develop a backstory.

To everyone: An anecdote from your character's past or a general backstory could earn you an extra point.
Back to top Go down
Mystic
Admin
Admin
Mystic

PostSubject: Re: Earth: 2124   Earth: 2124 EmptyWed Mar 17, 2010 10:58 am

Mmm...extra point. So how about answering those questions I have on the setting?
Back to top Go down
Zhavier
Batman (I'm Batman!!!)
Batman (I'm Batman!!!)
Zhavier

PostSubject: Re: Earth: 2124   Earth: 2124 EmptyWed Mar 17, 2010 11:27 am

I did Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Mystic
Admin
Admin
Mystic

PostSubject: Re: Earth: 2124   Earth: 2124 EmptyWed Mar 17, 2010 3:32 pm

Zhavier wrote:
I did Very Happy

Thanks, starting work on the character, and since he's closely tied to the city, it's going to be important for that character.
Back to top Go down
Mystic
Admin
Admin
Mystic

PostSubject: Re: Earth: 2124   Earth: 2124 EmptyWed Mar 17, 2010 4:19 pm

Hey, how many points is:

Immune
Non-Immune

Carrier
Non-Carrier
Back to top Go down
Zhavier
Batman (I'm Batman!!!)
Batman (I'm Batman!!!)
Zhavier

PostSubject: Re: Earth: 2124   Earth: 2124 EmptyWed Mar 17, 2010 5:12 pm

The Attribute (Immunity - PDE Virus) Costs 3. The Defect (Carrier - PDE Virus) Gives 3 BP. 98% of the remaining human popluace has either both or neither. Please Note, taking just the defect without the immunity is not possible, unless you are VERY creative.
Back to top Go down
Mystic
Admin
Admin
Mystic

PostSubject: Re: Earth: 2124   Earth: 2124 EmptyThu Mar 18, 2010 3:48 pm

Another important question: Do B/M/S starts start at 1?
Back to top Go down
Zhavier
Batman (I'm Batman!!!)
Batman (I'm Batman!!!)
Zhavier

PostSubject: Re: Earth: 2124   Earth: 2124 EmptyFri Mar 19, 2010 12:44 pm

Body Mind and Soul start at 0, but require you to spend at least enough to get them to 1. Note that a 1 is heavily crippled in all aspects of that stat. If you are looking for a weak body, consider taking a slow defect, or a not so tuogh defect, or several other options that focus on particular aspects of the stat.
Back to top Go down
sethmanji
sethmanji

Job/hobbies : Bartending

PostSubject: Re: Earth: 2124   Earth: 2124 EmptyTue Apr 06, 2010 10:22 pm

Hey guys, this is Seth, and im here to say i enjoyed the Fallout series and look forward to havin fun with you all. *bows*

As far as character goes, ive decided on a tired mechanic who enjoys tinkering, but is frustrated by lack of materials and freedom (due to lack of materials, the gov. restricts use) He is well versed in all mechanics and gets like a kid in a candy store around machines (robots, cars, guns, high tech guns, etc.) He can shoot a gun, but likes fixing them more. He is proficient in rifles, and would rather take a slow pace, pickin everything off before it knows he's there and waltzin through untouched. Can play the guitar, but others skills are lacking (cooking, cleaning, survivalism, etc.)

So, whatchu guys think? im trying to broaden my characters from just being the big brute.

Also, is having a hidden superpower allowed? or is there any way to work that in? i think itd be a cool mechanic if i can use it...
Back to top Go down
Zhavier
Batman (I'm Batman!!!)
Batman (I'm Batman!!!)
Zhavier

PostSubject: Re: Earth: 2124   Earth: 2124 EmptyWed Apr 07, 2010 1:31 am

There are several methods to ahve a hidden superpower. 1st: Most superpowers are not actually visible straight off unless you take the detectable or marked flaws. Any power can be detected through more extravagent means, like sensors, blood work, etc, but this too can be overcome by spending points to make an ability completely undetectable.

The second way you can have a hidden superpower is that it is actually unkown to you the player. You tell me, the GM, that you are plotting 1 or more points into "unknown power" And I, as the GM, get to randomly cause the power to go off, eventually giving you enough clues to have figured it out. This can in essence get you another point or 2, as the unknown power is usually more powerful than what you might have been able to get otherwise.

One of the more important things about tristat is that you really can't assume anything. Unless it is prearranged and spelled out by you the player, I as the gamemaster have free reign to make decisions on functionality, the book provides you with no rules with which to lawyer it up. As a rules lawyer myself, it is somewhat liberating. But I digress.

Additional note on superpowers, they are almost universally explained by tech or mutation in this setting. It can be important to choose, as mutant tends to get the ISM defect attached, while tech tends to get the detectable defect. Though your creativity is the only real limit, sometimes I require convincing.

If you would like to discuss the character in more detail, I am available over AIM, zhavier9000. And I shall give another plug for the much friendlier version of aim, aim adhack, found at http://www.aimadhack.net/ I've been using it for years. Disclaimer: I often walk away from my comp without warning while chatting, but I always get yer chats eventually.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Earth: 2124   Earth: 2124 Empty

Back to top Go down

Earth: 2124
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Conclave of Souls :: Game Boards :: Pandemic-
Jump to: